- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws (BA. LL.B) from Sydney University
- Graduate Diploma in finance from the Securities Institute of Australia
- Admitted as a solicitor of the Supreme Court ofNSW and of the High Court
- Called to the Bar in February 1998.
- Admitted as a barrister to the High Court in 1998.
- Professional Certificate in Arbitration from Adelaide University through the Institute of Arbitrators and Mediators Australia (JAMA) (Now the Resolution Institute)
- Updated skills by successfully completing Arbitrators Master Class conducted by Resolution Institute on 21 November 2015
- Practitioner’s Certificate in Mediation and Conciliation Certificate from IAMA plus additional 2 days Workplace Relations ADR training through JAMA.
- NSW Bar Association Panel of Supreme Court Mediators in 2006-2015.
- NSW Bar Association Panel of District Court Mediators in 2006-2014.
- Participated as a mediator in the Family Law Settlements Scheme in 2012.
- Appointed as a Local Court Arbitrator since December 2005 and currently appointed.
- Appointed as a District Court Arbitrator in December 2006. Reappointed in 2008 and 2014 and currently appointed.
- Appointed as a Supreme Court Costs Assessor since September 2002 and currently appointed.
- Grade 2 Arbitrator with JAMA (Now the Resolution Institute).
- Bar Association Health, Sport and Recreation Committee 2013 -2014.
CURRENT AREAS OF PRACTICE
Marina currently practises as a barrister, arbitrator and mediator at William Deane Chambers appearing in the following types of matters:
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Superannuation – Total and Permanent Disability claims against Funds and Insurers;
- Insurance Law (especially life and disability insurance)
- Workers Compensation, Workplace Injury Damages and Personal Injuries
- Equity (e.g. Section 66G applications, constructive trust matters and other trust disputes, Succession Act matters, real property/conveyancing disputes and claims in relation to livestock and timber)
- Industrial and Employment Law including OH & S matters
- Mortgage disputes/possession matters including rural properties
- Commercial and Contract Law
- Drafting Retail and Commercial leases and appearing in lease disputes.
- Commercial and Contract Law
- Small residential building disputes
- Administrative law including appeals
- Minor traffic matters such as accidents, advices under the Motor Accident Compensation Act 1999 and pleas in mitigation.
- Commonwealth Workers Compensation -AAT
- Assessing costs as a costs assessor of the Supreme Court
- Presented paper on 14/3/18 on costs and the format of bills at Legal wise Seminars Pty Ltd
- Hearing a variety of matters as a Local Court Arbitrator
PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE
Hunt & Hunt
A mixture of litigious work being predominantly Common Law personal injury litigation, Workers’ Compensation matters, Motor accident matters, General Litigation and Family Law.
Prudential Life Assurance Company Ltd
- Superannuation – drafting trust deeds and advising.
- Mortgages – acting for the company in relation to staff and commercial mortgages including appearing at and conducting possession proceedings in the Supreme Court.
- Advising on Life Insurance and disability Policies including conducting proceedings in relation to disputed and/or fraudulent claims.
- Debt recovery matters
- Trade practices
- Lecturing staff from other departments on the law relating to Life Insurance, Superannuation and Disability.
Legal & General Life of Australia Ltd
Marina was a senior manager and established their legal department. She had a small team of 4 staff reporting to her. Areas of work included:
- Staff and agents’ mortgages
- Trade marks and intellectual property
- Trade practices
- Superannuation – drafting trust deeds and advising on all types of schemes from personal schemes to Master Trust Schemes.
- Minor Board Company Secretary
- Alternate main board Company Secretary
- Incorporation and launch of unit trust company
- Ensuring compliance with Corporations Legislation and Regulations.
- Preparation of board papers
- Advice on various types of policies such as life policies and disability policies.
- Converting old Life and Disability policies to plain English
- Product development.
- Insurance Agency issues and disputes including holding meetings to try to resolve disputes.
- Advising on Life Insurance and Disability policies including advising on claims.
- Establishing Group Life and disability schemes.
- Liaising with board members
- Liaising with both individual and corporate policy holders and trustees of superannuation funds
- Liaising with government bodies such as ASIC in relation to complying with requirements of the Corporations Legislation
All Courts Appearances
Marina set up and was the principal of All Courts Appearances, which she sold in 1998 when she was called to the Bar. It was principally an
agency/advocacy practice. Marina regularly appeared in the following jurisdictions –
- Supreme Court – Commercial, equity and company matters.
- District Court
- Local Court – All types of Civil matters
- Minor Criminal and Traffic matters
- Family matters- including being a Duty Solicitor at the Sydney Registry
- Compensation Court.
- Family Court
- Federal Court.
- Administrative Appeals Tribunal
- Chief Industrial Magistrate’s Court
- Industrial Relations Court and Industrial Relations Commission.
Breeding, riding and racing Thoroughbred Horses
Competitive distance running and formerly representing NSW in track, road and crosscountry running.